Day in Towne On The Road
Day in Towne – AmeriTowne On the Road
Before You Arrive
Teachers – you and your students will complete most of the curriculum lessons and activities, including:
- An election for Mayor and Judge.
- A vote on laws to govern your day in Towne.
- Interviews for positions to work in each Young AmeriTowne business.
The Day of Towne
You and your students will visit the traveling setup of Young AmeriTowne on the Road in a city near you. The mobile version allows the shops to be arranged specifically to fit in a variety of areas and accommodate to different floor spaces. As your students step inside the 3,200 square foot mini-town, they will transform into Young AmeriTowne citizens and will assume positions as Mayor, Accountant, Medical Technician, Policeperson, Newspaper Editor and more. You are welcome to bring nine parent volunteers to help with the day. Learn more about volunteers here.
Towne Officially Opens
A ribbon-cutting ceremony and swearing-in of elected government leaders will mark the official Towne opening. Your students-turned-citizens will rush off to work in the positions they were ‘hired’ for, working together with their co-workers to successfully run their business:
- Accountants will carefully manage finances, applying for bank loans to pay expenses and salaries and tracking revenues and expenses throughout the day.
- Managers will calculate inventory levels, place supply orders, and coordinate staff schedules.
- Salespeople will strategically set prices and market their products and services to compete for consumers’ dollars. Many of the shops allow for transactions to be made through point-of-sale tablets and debit card swipe machines.
During their breaks from work, employees will spend their hard-earned salaries, tracking their expenditures in their personal checking accounts. All citizens will be encouraged to monitor their account balance using the kiosks around Young AmeriTowne. Citizens can also order products online, take an experience survey, submit a story idea to the newspaper, and more.
Result – A Powerful Learning Experience
Lessons in free enterprise and economics truly come to life in Young AmeriTowne as your students see the direct impact their actions and decisions have on themselves, their businesses, and the overall community. They see first-hand what happens to supply and demand as they change prices. They see the power of marketing as they lure customers away from their competitors. They grasp the meaning of opportunity costs as they evaluate how to spend their salaries. They begin to recognize their skills and interests from a career perspective. The list goes on.